4-H Friday News - January 21, 2022
Wyoming County 4-H
JANUARY 21, 2022
The entire Wyoming county 4-H staff is here for anything you and your families may need, please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us with your question(s)!
Horse Bowl – RESCHEDULED!
- Due to unforeseen circumstances, horse bowl has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 2nd 6:30PM. Please call or email the 4H office to sign up! All youth are encouraged to participate that are interested no experience necessary. If there are any questions, please email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Study packets are available online and in person.
Beginner Beef Series
- Rescheduled to Saturday, January 22nd from 10:00AM till 11:30am at Sunrise Farms, 2939 Glor Road in Attica. This will be the first in a series of meetings geared to newer beef project participants. Whether you have a steer, heifer or are interested in starting a project, all are welcome. This event WILL NOT count as an educational event for fair but is sure to deliver some great tips for aspiring beef producers! Remember to dress for the weather as this event is in an open-air barn!
- Join us online for a beef Kahoot! game on Saturday, January 29th. This event, all about beef, will count towards the educational meeting requirements to show beef, sheep, or swine at the fair. Participants must pre-register here: https://reg.cce.cornell.edu/BeefSwineSheepKahoot-... to receive the game link to play.
Swartz Family Lambing Workshop
- Are you interested in sheep projects for 4-H? Join us for a unique opportunity during lambing season at a local sheep farm. Chad Swartz has invited members who have and interest in sheep to learn about the lambing process, caring for newborn lambs and flocks. This will be a hands-on experience in the barn, where you will probably get dirty! Interested families MUST register ahead with the 4-H office for one of two opportunities: Saturday, January 29th from 1-3pm or Sunday, January 30th from 1-3pm.
- Registrations are due February 1st! Find the registration form and dates and details HERE at on our website.
- Our virtual Q&A Session and opportunity for presentation feedback is January 26th at 7PM! Register in advance for this meeting:
https://cornell.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEpdOut... (Meeting Concluded)
Virtual Place Setting
- Rules for the virtual place setting contest can be found HERE. Entries are due via email to Sarah at email@example.com by 1/31. This year we will be highlighting the 2021 and 2022 participants on our Facebook page and showcase at the Wyoming county fair!
- Our annual Dairy Bowl contest is Saturday, January 29th. Event registration is due by January 21, 2022. All youth are encouraged to participate. There are Junior and Senior study packets available at the 4-H office. Call the 4-H office or email Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
NYS 4-H Virtual Dairy Bowl Series
- Join the NYS 4-H Dairy Committee as they host guest speaker every Thursday in February from 6:30-7:45PM. Each week a new topic will be discussed. The topics include: Calf & Heifer Care, Milk Quality & Udder Health, Crops & Nutrition, and Reproduction. After each presentation there will be a Kahoot! Game with dairy bowl questions. To register for the event click on the link below.
• Registration link:
https://cornell.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAod-mq... (Series Concluded)
- Saturday, February 12, 2022, at 9:30 AM at the Ag & Business Center in Warsaw. This fast-paced skill-a-thon will include individual and team events. The event will include pin the body part on the cow, questions with a buzzer round, dairy jeopardy, and more! Pre-registration is REQUIRED to plan for the event. Call the 4-H office to RSVP, RSVPs are due by February 4th.
4-H Tractor Safety Series
- Geared for youth between 10 and 13 years old, learn about small engines, tools, tractors, and machinery maintenance. The cost for this program is $5.00 and registration forms can be found on page 30 of the December 4-H News. This group meets 2/7, 2/14, 2/21, and 2/28 at our local tractor dealerships.
National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operators Program (Tractor Certification)
- Registration is now open for our annual 4-H Tractor Safety Program! Open to youth age 14+. Youth must be enrolled in 4-H to participate. The certification allows youth ages 14-15 legally operate farm equipment for hire. Registration forms are available in the December 4-H News or you can contact the 4-H Office for more information. This group meets weekly from 1/24 through 3/7. There is a $20 fee to cover program materials.
STEM Mars Challenge
- On Tuesday, February 1st at 6:00 PM at the Ag & Business Center, the STEM challenge will explore sending a mission to Mars. The challenge is well suited for youth ages 8-14 and will learn skills like mechanical engineering, physics, computer science, and agriculture.
• Registration is due by January 21st. Call the 4-H office to register for this opportunity.
4-H Staff Email Contacts
Holly Harwood: email@example.com
Sarah Clark: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Luders: email@example.com
Alesia Ackerman: firstname.lastname@example.org
General 4-H: email@example.com
Last updated November 2, 2023